Nutmeg Muffins Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a bowl, combine 2 cups of flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Reserve 3/4 cup for topping. To the remaining crumb mixture, add the baking powder, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and remaining flour. Combine eggs and buttermilk; add to crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 10 minutes; remove to a wire rack. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Nutmeg Muffins in Quick Cooking November/December 1998, p47
Reviews for Nutmeg Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 28, 2011
fell in the middle - called for 3 cups of flour but only used 2 cups in ingredient directions what happens to 3rd cup?