My family and friends have enjoyed these melt-in-your mouth cookies since I first began making them years ago. I love to bake and try to keep the cookie jar filled. For the holidays, the dusting of nutmeg is a tasty touch.
--Judy Burdette Kettering, Ohio
30 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup ground almonds (about 3 ounces), toasted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and
- fluffy. Gradually add flour and mix well. Stir in almonds. Shape
- into 1-in. balls.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 300° for
- 18-20 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool on wire
- In a shallow bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and nutmeg. Gently
- roll cooled cookies in sugar mixture. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 128 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 62 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.