Nut-Topped Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins Recipe
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in strawberries and rhubarb. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 243 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Nut-Topped Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
"This is a new favorite rhubarb recipe. These muffins are moist and delicious!"
"These are to die for. That's what my neighbors said when I brought them to them. I absolutely agree! I love the crumb nut topping and they are so moist. It will be one of my favorite ways to use rhubarb from now on!"
"One of our favorite muffins in early summer when the rhubarb begins. Moist, flavorful, and the nut topping makes them a special treat on the breakfast table or just for a nice snack."
"Wow, these are so good! I made a batch 2 days ago and just baked another batch today. The nut-topped is making a big difference. I baked mine in a stone muffin pan and they were perfect."
"Very good. Would definitely make them again."
"these are wonderful,on last batch i added chopped pecans that was awesome. I think they are just as good cold as warm."
"These were delicious, I will definitely make them again, so moist and yummy."
"These are so good - a great way to use up strawberries and rhubarb!"
"I agree that the topping on these really is delicious. It bakes into the top of the muffins and becomes toffee-like. I was worried my family wasn't going to like these because they are not used to rhubarb; a neighbor had given us some and I found this recipe to try it out for the first time. But these were gobbled up; no worries! I'm going to make more this weekend."
"I've made these twice now. 1st time I did all rhubarb since I had no strawberries, it tasted fabulous but my topping sunk to the bottom. Making them today only I did the topping in my Cuisnart so topping was finer and added topping the last 5 minutes of baking! My husband who isn't really a muffin man even liked these. Thanks for the recipe. Maybe next time I'll try it with strawberies but it's great with all rhubard!"
"Great muffins! My husband who doesn't like rhubarb even gobbled them up!"
"Could you use frozen strawberries when out of season. If so, should they be drained?"
"These muffins are the best!!! The topping makes all the difference -- so good."
"My family loves these muffins!"