Nut Roll Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 cups ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, milk, egg yolks, sugar, salt and flour. Beat until smooth (mixture will be sticky). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. For filling, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until sugar is dissolved. In a large bowl, combine the walnuts, milk, cinnamon and remaining sugar; fold in egg whites.
- 3. Divide dough in half. On a well-floured surface, roll each portion into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread filling evenly over each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.
- 4. Place one filled roll seam side up in a greased 10-in. tube pan. Top with second roll, seam side down. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 325 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Nut Roll Coffee Cake
"Wonderful coffee cake. Moist and if you are a walnut lover; this is for you. Has a wonderful European home baked flavor. Almost like a Hungarian Kolache or a Polish Babka!"