- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 cups ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, milk, egg yolks, sugar, salt and flour. Beat until smooth (mixture will be sticky). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until sugar is dissolved. In a large bowl, combine the walnuts, milk, cinnamon and remaining sugar; fold in egg whites.
- Divide dough in half. On a well-floured surface, roll each portion into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread filling evenly over each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.
- Place one filled roll seam side up in a greased 10-in. tube pan. Top with second roll, seam side down. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Nut Roll Coffee Cake in Country Woman December/January 2008, p39
Reviews for Nut Roll Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 12, 2009
Wonderful coffee cake. Moist and if you are a walnut lover; this is for you. Has a wonderful European home baked flavor. Almost like a Hungarian Kolache or a Polish Babka!
More Recipe Collections
- Coffee Cake Bread Recipes >
- Coffee Cake Recipes >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >