- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, sour cream,
- sugar, butter, eggs, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Beat
- in remaining flour until mixture forms a soft dough. Transfer to a
- greased bowl, turning once the grease the top; cover and refrigerate
- Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a 14x12-in. rectangle.
- For nut filling, in a small bowl, combine pecans, sugar, dates, milk
- and salt. In another bowl, beat egg white until stiff peaks form;
- fold into pecan mixture. Spread over one portion. Spread poppy seed
- filling over remaining dough; sprinkle with raisins and walnuts.
- Roll up each jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch
- seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on parchment
- paper-lined baking sheets. Let rise in a warm place until doubled,
- about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack. Combine confectioners' sugar and enough water
- to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over breads. Yield: 2 loaves
- (14 slices each).
Nutritional Facts: Nut Filling: 1 slice equals 290 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 298 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Poppy Seed Filling: 1 slice equals 307 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 139 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.