Nostalgic Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (10 ounces each), skin removed
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 6 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. Place the chicken in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Insert cloves into one onion; add to slow cooker. Add bay leaf and remaining onions. Sprinkle mixture with the garlic, salt, thyme, marjoram and pepper. Add broth and wine if desired. Cover and cook on low for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove chicken to a serving platter and keep warm. Discard cloves and bay leaf. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, water and browning sauce if desired until smooth. Stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until mixture reaches a simmer.
- 3. Meanwhile, combine the biscuit mix, milk and parsley. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering liquid. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into dumplings comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Serve with chicken and sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 295 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 561 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 36 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Nostalgic Chicken and Dumplings
"Question: Can I substitute flour & water to thicken & create sauce instead of cornstarch?"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.