Nostalgic Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (10 ounces each), skin removed
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 6 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Place the chicken in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Insert cloves into one onion; add to slow cooker. Add bay leaf and remaining onions. Sprinkle mixture with the garlic, salt, thyme, marjoram and pepper. Add broth and wine if desired. Cover and cook on low for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter and keep warm. Discard cloves and bay leaf. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, water and browning sauce if desired until smooth. Stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until mixture reaches a simmer.
- Meanwhile, combine the biscuit mix, milk and parsley. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering liquid. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into dumplings comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Serve with chicken and sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Nostalgic Chicken and Dumplings
Sort By :
Question: Can I substitute flour & water to thicken & create sauce instead of cornstarch?
Man , according to the community ratings this recipe must be pretty bad-I never saw such low ratings...by 29 people!