- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Red and/or green colored sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and extracts; beat until light and fluffy. Add flour and nuts; beat just until moistened. Cover and chill 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten to 1/4-in. thickness with a glass dipped in colored sugar. Sprinkle with additional sugar if desired. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are set. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Norwegian Cookies
Sort By :
I had actually prepared this recipe before when it had appeared in Taste of Home! I prepared this recipe again 7/19/14. The recipe for me worked out very well! I added 1 tsp. salt with the flour-I sifted the ingredients together. I did omit the nuts and I chilled dough for several hours! I did grease the baking sheets and flattened to just 1/2" thickness, using a small jar, greased the bottom of the jar, then dipped in colored sugar. I baked just 8 minutes at 350o F. The cookies were delicately browned and did spread, but NOT too much for me! The batter WAS buttery and I wound up wearing those food gloves-the last sheet of cookies, I used a small spoon to scoop dough, then rolled into a ball, flattened with the sugar-dipped jar slightly and baked! I got 44 cookies out of this recipe! Thank you, Karen Skowronek, for sharing your recipe with Taste of Home! delowenstein
I was very disappointed with this recipe. Too much butter and no need to grease the cookie sheet. They spread way too far; joining together, and left fingers way too messy with the excess butter.