This tasty recipe was give to me by a friend whose ancestors were from Norway. I especially enjoy bringing this salad dish to family get-togethers since I can make it days ahead. A pint of it also makes a nice gift.
12-16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- Shred cabbage and toss with salt. Cover and refrigerate at least 2
- hours. In a saucepan, heat sugar, vinegar, mustard and celery seeds.
- Cook until the sugar dissolves, about 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Add to the cabbage along with remaining vegetables; toss. Cover and
- refrigerate at least 1 week before serving. Keeps for 4-6 weeks in
- the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 96 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 469 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.