Norwegian Christmas Bread Recipe
When my husband became a minister for a church in an area populated with Norwegians, my father-in-law was delighted because I had easy access to recipes he enjoyed as a child. This is a traditional Christmas bread, but I make it for any holiday we get together. —Deborah Petersen, Princeton, New Jersey
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3-3/4 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup diced citron or mixed candied fruit
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, egg, butter, salt, cardamom and 2 cups flour; mix well. Stir in raisins, citron and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to greased top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape each portion into a flattened ball. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 132 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC