This treasured recipe reflects my Norwegian heritage. The subtle hint of cardanom is undeniably good. —Sally Nelson, Tempe, Arizona
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 9 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional sugar
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add warm milk, sugar, butter, 2 eggs, cardamom, salt and 6 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into fourths. Divide each portion into thirds; shape each into a 12-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 4 loaves.
Originally published as Cardamom Braids in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p51
Reviews for Norwegian Cardamom Bread Braids
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review