Northwoods Beef Stew Recipe
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Place the carrots, celery and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Place beef over vegetables.
- In a small bowl, combine the soup, wine, tapioca, Italian seasoning, paprika, brown sugar, bouillon and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, adding mushrooms during the last hour. Serve with noodles. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Northwoods Beef Stew(9)
Sort By :
This was an absolutely delicious recipe and very full of flavor! I followed the recipe adding 6 cloves minced garlic, a couple more carrots, a can of chopped stewed tomatoes (drained) , a bay leaf, dash Tabasco and I only used 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning because 1 tablespoon sounded like a lot, but the 2 teaspoons worked great, not overpowering in the least. There was nothing "odd" about this recipe at all. I also added in some fresh minced parsley with the mushrooms and served over hot buttered egg noodles. It was just thick enough , perfect! My family gobbled it up ! Very easy too! I love these kind of recipes and will be making this a lot more, thank you! :)
The weather is terrible outsaide and due to my husband job demands, I was looking for something that would warm him and simple enough for me to make. I was not disappointed with this recipe. It was easy to make and made the house smell great while it was cooking. Thanks for the recipe.
My family liked this very much. A little different than beef stew, it didn't last long.
Made it couple months ago. I left out the mushrooms because I'm not to fond of them. The Beef Stew was still very good to eat. The stew did not last very long in my house. It went very fast. Yes, will make it again.
Outrageously easy to prep, and equally as delicious. This was a major hit in our home; had some leftovers, and that went quickly. Tweaked it slightly for personal taste; added two tbl white vinegar to balance out the sweet/salty flavors, substituted crushed/dried marjoram for the Italian seasoning, and added two parsnips cut into 1-inch pieces (just a personal favorite). I also went a little more heavy-handed on the beef bouillon and added a little more salt directly to the cooking sauce (between the carrots, parsnips, tomato soup base, and brown sugar there?s enough sweetness in the recipe, and it can use a little more saltiness). Between the seasoned flour coating on the beef cubes, and the tapioca granules, they both provided just the perfect thickening consistency; Amazing!! (I loved not having to thicken anything at the very end; just add the sliced mushrooms 1 hr before serving, give it a stir, and it?s all ready for you to enjoy!!). This was a total winner and will definitely be a repeat over the winter months, I can guarantee that. Thank you Janice!!!!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Stew Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Stew Recipes >