- 3 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Place the carrots, celery and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Place beef over vegetables.
- In a small bowl, combine the soup, wine, tapioca, Italian seasoning, paprika, brown sugar, bouillon and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, adding mushrooms during the last hour. Serve with noodles. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Northwoods Beef Stew
Sort By :
"We thought this was so good, although I did potatoes and no shrooms and I added Italian stewed tomatoes.........loved that I didn't have to precook the stew meat....I will make this again."
"I just had your stew ad it was not very good at all. I guess it must work for some. I would not ever eat it again. 1 star is too many."
"I grow and can my own tomatoes. I prefer to use them. Also agree no shrooms! Potatoes make it more a comfort food! Use a chuck roast and Kitchen Bouquet for a base. Make it in a pressure cooker!"
"the canned tomato soup spoiled it for me!!! stewed tomatoes would be a better choice.."
"This sounds wonderful, but would probably add a can of tomatoes and substitute potatoes for the mushrooms."