Northwest Seafood Corn Chowder Recipe
This chowder showcases the best of Northwest seafood; it’s all in here, from bay scallops to snapper.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 large ears sweet corn in husks
- 14 fresh cherrystone clams
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 3/4 pound potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup clam stock
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 1/2 pound uncooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1. Carefully peel back husks from corn to within 1-in. of bottom; remove silk. Rewrap corn in husks. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, tap clams; discard any that do not close. Place in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until clams open. Drain. Remove meat from clams; chop and set aside.
- 3. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Add the butter, onion, celery and shallot; cook until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 10 minutes or until browned (do not burn). Gradually add water and clam juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Cut corn from cobs. Stir the corn, potatoes, clam stock, parsley, bay leaf, salt, pepper and thyme into soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- 5. Add the scallops, shrimp and clams; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink and scallops are opaque. Stir in cream; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 476 calories, 33 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 145 mg cholesterol, 518 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC