Northwest Salmon Chowder
I've lived on a farm in the Yakima Valley all my life. I have a big garden, and by the end of fall, my cellar shelves are full of canned fruits and vegetables. This recipe uses some of the root vegetables I grow...along with the delicious salmon that is so plentiful here.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup each chopped celery, onion and green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 3/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups fully cooked salmon chunks or 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) salmon, drained, flaked, bones and skin removed
- In a large saucepan, saute celery, onion, green pepper and garlic in
- butter until the vegetables are tender. Add broth, potatoes,
- carrots, salt, pepper and dill; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until the vegetables
- are nearly tender. Stir in the corn, cream and salmon. Simmer for 15
- minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).