North Pacific Chowder Recipe
This is so yummy and so fresh! Tender vegetables and tarragon add good flavor to this smooth fish soup. —Pam Woolgar, Qualicum Beach, British Columbia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 4 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pint half-and-half cream
- 1 pound halibut fillets, cubed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Tarragon sprigs, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute onion and celery in the drippings. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Combine flour and cream until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the halibut, tarragon, salt, pepper and reserved bacon. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Garnish with tarragon sprigs if desired. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 215 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 758 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC