North Pacific Chowder Recipe
- 8 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 4 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pint half-and-half cream
- 1 pound halibut fillets, cubed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Tarragon sprigs, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute onion and celery in the drippings. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Combine flour and cream until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the halibut, tarragon, salt, pepper and crumbled bacon. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Garnish with tarragon sprigs if desired. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup: 215 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 758mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for North Pacific Chowder
"This chowder is excellent. However, it is never served when my third son is home, as he is deathly allergic to seafood. It's a keeper, but it won't be served to him."