North Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce
Blending two vinegars helps re-create the BBQ sauce we love from my mother’s North Carolina roots. — Gloria McKinley, Lakeland, Florida
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- Yield: 1-2/3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 26 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 179 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.
Wine: Blush Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.