Noel Cookie Gems Recipe
From Exeter, California, Patsy Noel pens, "I found these cookies when my husband and I were dating. Since our last name is Noel, I whip up a batch every Christmas. They’re a cinch to assemble and freeze, saving time during the holiday rush, and can be filled with other jams for a change."
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1/3 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls; roll in nuts.
- 2. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make a 3/8- to 1/2-in.-deep indentation in the center of each ball. Fill with jam.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 211 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC