No-Yeast Stollen Recipe
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied orange peel
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied lemon peel
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the candied peel, water and extracts; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, almonds, baking powder, salt, mace and cardamom. Cut in 4 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- 2. Stir in the cottage cheese, eggs, raisins, currants and candied peel mixture; form into a ball. Turn onto a floured surface; knead five times. Roll dough into a 10-in. x 8-in. oval. Fold a long side over to within 1 in. of opposite side; press edge lightly to seal.
- 3. Place on a greased baking sheet; curve ends slightly. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 slice equals 195 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for No-Yeast Stollen
"I have been looking for the perfect stollen recipe for a long time. This is as close as I ever hope to come. She nailed the flavors -- the citrus, the raisins and currants, and the extracts. She also nailed the texture. I don't want my stollen to be like yeast bread or like cake; I think it should be like a moist biscotti, and that's exactly what this one is like. THANKS!"