It's a snap to put together this colorful casserole. I like to make it a day ahead, then refrigerate and bake the next morning. With ingredients such as sausage, eggs, cheese and peppers, it tastes like a strata—except it uses crackers rather than the traditional bread cubes. —Helen Clem
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cooked crumbled sausage or cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup crushed saltines (about 24 crackers)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Pour into a greased shallow
- 3-qt. or 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before
- serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Editor's Note: This dish may be prepared in advance, covered and refrigerated overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 272 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 213 mg cholesterol, 767 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 18 g protein.