"I find filling a salt shaker with this mixture of spices reduces the automatic reach for salt," notes Joy Back of Cincinnati, Ohio. Joy, who follows a low-sodium diet, sprinkles the fragrant fusion of flavors on meat, fish, poultry and vegetables.
32 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 3 bay leaves broken into pieces
- 3 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender; cover and
- process until finely ground. Transfer to a salt shaker; use in place
- of salt. Yield: 8 teaspoons.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/4 teaspoon) equals 2 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9 mg sodium, trace carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: Free food.