No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread
This simple recipe requires no kneading, so you can mix this up with less fuss. It still has that great fresh-from-the-oven flavor your family is sure to appreciate!
-Barbara Ann Gross, APO, New York
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in honey; add
- butter, salt and whole wheat flour. Beat on low speed until
- well-blended. Stir in all-purpose flour. Cover and let rise in a
- warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Stir 30 strokes with a
- spoon; pour batter into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Cover and
- let rise in a warm place until batter reaches edge of pan, about 30
- minutes. Bake at 375° for 30-40 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 103 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 163 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.