No-Knead Honey Oatmeal Bread Recipe
We especially enjoy this tasty bread because we feel using honey as a natural sweetener means healthier eating. We use the bread for both toast and sandwiches. It's great during the holidays, too...or, for that matter, anytime!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 packages (1/2 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup water to boiling. Stir in the oats, butter, honey and salt. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally. Heat remaining water to 110°-115°.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the egg, oat mixture and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- 3. Spread batter evenly into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Smooth tops of loaves. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 35-40 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Brush with melted butter if desired. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Diabetic Exchanges: One slice equals 1 starch; also, 81 calories, 175 mg sodium, 6 mg cholesterol, 14 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm protein, 2 gm fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC