- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup assorted seeds, such as sesame seeds, flaxseed, sunflower kernels and/or poppy seeds, divided
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3 cups bread flour, divided
- 2-1/4 cups cool water (55° to 65°)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Additional cornmeal
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, cornmeal, 1/3 cup seeds, salt, yeast and 2-1/2 cups bread flour. Stir in water and molasses until blended; dough will be wet and sticky.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until more than doubled in size and bubbles are present on surface, 12 to 18 hours. Stir in remaining bread flour.
- Grease a baking sheet and sprinkle well with additional cornmeal; turn dough onto prepared pan. Gently shape with a spatula into a 9-in. round loaf. Cover and let rise at room temperature for 2 hours or until dough holds an indentation when gently pressed (loaf will slightly increase in size).
- Arrange one oven rack at lowest rack setting; place second rack in middle of oven. Place an oven-safe skillet on bottom oven rack; preheat oven and skillet to 475°. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil.
- Gently press remaining seeds onto top of loaf. Wearing oven mitts, place bread on top rack. Pull bottom rack out by 6-8 in.; add boiling water to skillet. (Work quickly and carefully, pouring water away from you. Don't worry if some water is left in the saucepan.) Carefully slide bottom rack back into place; quickly close door to trap steam in oven.
- Reduce heat to 425°; bake for 10 minutes. Remove skillet from oven; bake bread 20-25 minutes longer or until deep golden brown and bread sounds hollow when center is tapped. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as No-Knead Harvest Bread in Taste of Home Baking Book 2011, p345
Reviews for No-Knead Harvest Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review