Margaret Otley's flavorful homemade rolls can come fresh from the oven any morning. "Besides the fact that they don't require kneading, the goodies are ideal to start preparing the night before and then bake for breakfast," she pens from Waverly, Nebraska. "You won't have to get up at the crack of dawn, either...but the sweet filling and flaky texture will taste like you did!"—Margaret Otley, Waverly, Nebraska
Recommended: 62 Christmas Potluck Sides for 12 or More
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 7 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, divided
- 1 cup warm heavy whipping cream (110° to 115°)
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water. Let stand 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine 3-1/2 cups flour, remaining sugar and salt. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until crumbly. Add the yeast mixture, cream and egg yolks. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Refrigerate for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half; roll each into a 15x12-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle over dough.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, beginning with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each roll into 15 slices; place the slices cut side down in two greased 9-in. pie plates. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm rolls. Cool in pans on wire racks. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as No-Knead Citrus Rolls in Country Woman March/April 2000, p28
Reviews for No-Knead Citrus Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review