No-Knead Casserole Bread Recipe
"You'll love this cheddar casserole bread, promises Peggy Key of Grant, Alabama. "It is one of the easiest yeast breads to make. And since it calls for rapid-rise yeast, you don't have to wait long to enjoy it!"
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1. In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, salt, pepper and 2-1/2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°; stir into dry ingredients. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, onion and remaining flour, forming a soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes.
- 2. Shape dough into a ball; place in a greased 2-qt. round baking dish. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 3. Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cool in baking dish 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- 4. Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaf in heavy-duty foil. To use, thaw at room temperature. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice equals 204 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 272 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC