No-Knead 100% Whole Wheat Bread
If you've never baked yeast bread, but want to learn how, this is the loaf to start with. Unlike most yeast breads, this one isn't kneaded; instead, the soft dough is simply beaten in a bowl for several minutes, then scooped into a bread pan. An hour later, it's ready to pop into the oven. The result: A dense, moist, easy-to-slice loaf, ideal for sandwiches. Or spread thin slices with flavored cre
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- Additional melted butter, optional
- Generously coat an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan with cooking spray; set
- aside. In a large bowl, combine water, orange juice, melted butter,
- molasses, flour, dry milk, yeast and salt; beat on high for 3
- minutes (dough will be sticky). Spoon dough into prepared pan.
- Cover pan with lightly greased plastic wrap; let rise 60-90 minutes
- or until dough rises to the top of the pan.
- Remove plastic wrap. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until
- golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool
- completely. Brush with additional melted butter if desired.
- Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).