No-Fuss Swiss Steak
"I received the recipe for this dish from my cousin," notes Sharon Morrell from Parker, South Dakota. "I make it regularly because our children love the savory steak, tangy gravy and fork-tender veggies."
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 3 pounds beef top round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (11 ounces) condensed tomato rice soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil over medium-high heat; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add carrots and celery. Combine the
- remaining ingredients; pour over meat and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Discard
- bay leaf. Thicken cooking juices if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (6 ounces) equals 246 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 477 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.