No-Fry Doughnuts Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk and shortening; stir for 1 minute. Add sugar, eggs, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and 2 cups flour; beat on low speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-3/4-in. doughnut cutter; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with butter. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, for glaze, melt butter in a saucepan. Add the confectioners' sugar, water and vanilla; cook over low heat until smooth (do not boil). Keep warm.
- Dip warm doughnuts, one at a time, into glaze and turn to coat. Drain on a wire rack. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for No-Fry Doughnuts(3)
Sort By :
After reading the comments about the dough being runny, I reduced the milk to 1 cup and used five full cups of flour - it made the dough much more workable.
These are the worst kind of donuts and I will never try them again! I had to add and add and still add more flour to get it to the right consistency.
These are good but seem like yeast rolls with icing, not doughnuts. Also, the dough is so wet, it is pourable--I don't know how much more flour I had to add to pat them out--forget the rolling pin. Very, very messy.
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Country Woman Breakfast Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Doughnuts >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Mother's Day Doughnut Recipes >