No-Candied-Fruit Fruitcake Recipe
Minus the candied fruit, this traditional cake has a positively natural taste. For those who bake their Christmas giveaways ahead, it freezes beautifully, too.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5-1/2 cups pecan halves
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) maraschino cherries, dried
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) pitted dates, halved and quartered
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Add pecans, cherries, pineapple and dates; toss to coat. Beat eggs and orange juice; add to fruit mixture and mix well. Line two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans with foil and grease the foil. Pour fruit mixture into pans and press down. Bake at 300° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans. Remove foil. Brush with corn syrup; cool completely. Yield: 2 fruitcakes.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 257 calories, 14 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC