In New Windsor, New York, Barbara Garity whips up a crisp fruit salad that carries an unexpected crunch from low-fat granola. "I developed the recipe to try to get more fruit into my family's diet," she explains. "I make it with whatever fruits are in season."
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 4 cups cubed apples
- 3 cups cubed honeydew
- 2 cups cubed cantaloupe
- 2 cups green grapes
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 1 cup quartered strawberries
- 1 medium red grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 1 medium navel orange, peeled and sectioned
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat granola
- In a large bowl, combine the fruits; fold in yogurt. Just before
- serving, sprinkle with granola. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 183 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fruit.