Nikki's Perfect Pastitsio Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- BECHAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 eggs
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Toss with butter; add grated Parmesan cheese. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef into crumbles; drain. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in tomato sauce, salt and cinnamon; heat through. Spoon over pasta. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Pour over beef mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Nikki's Perfect Pastitsio(6)
Sort By :
My husband and I love this recipe! I have made it twice now and it is a keeper for sure!
My family loved this! A great change up from the usual baked pasta dish we usually have!
Wonderful and very easy. Used ground lamb instead of ground sirloin.
A hit for a large group & a welcome alternative to another ho-hum lasagna. I made the meat sauce ahead, then compiled the dish on the day I planned to serve it. Everyone loved it & will make again. Possible tweaks - add a bit of nutmeg to the béchamel. Also- a 9x13 pan will be very full, so you may want to place in a larger dish. Make a Greek salad & breadsticks & you have a crowd-pleasing meal.
Absolutely delicious! Introduced it to my steak and potatoes guy and he loved it! Will definitely make again. A terrific, easier recipe for a wonderful, tasty Greek dish.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Pasta >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Greek Dinner Recipes >
- Greek Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Pasta Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- New Year's Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Baking Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Beef Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Casserole Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Cheese Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Dinner Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Greek Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Pasta Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Potluck Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Tomato Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Tomato Recipes >