Nikki's Perfect Pastitsio Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- BECHAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 eggs
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Toss with butter; add grated Parmesan cheese. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef into crumbles; drain. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in tomato sauce, salt and cinnamon; heat through. Spoon over pasta. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Pour over beef mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Nikki's Perfect Pastitsio
Sort By :
"Was good but next time will leave the cinnamon out because my family didn't like it."
"Really enjoy this dish! It is a regular on our menu now. I just like to add a bit of slightly seasoned crushed/diced tomatoes to the top."
"I've been discovering Greek food for a while so it was fun to try this recipe! I liked the hint of cinnamon in a main dish recipe. The sauce is a wonderful addition! Everybody in my house liked it!"
"Loved the Bechamel sauce in this recipe. I have also made it meatless and loved it as well."
"Not great but not bad."