Night Before Casserole Recipe
"ALTHOUGH AUNT EDITH served a huge pancake with generous helpings of bacon or sausage, she wasn't always quite sure it would be enough for our farm appetites. "To be extra-sure she wouldn't get caught short, she made this casserole as a backup the evening before. It could have been a meal in itself! "This bread, egg and cheese combination came out of her oven light and puffy, and your fork fairly glided through it. Even still, there was body and substance in each delicious mouthful."
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 6 to 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 slices deluxe American cheese
- 6 slices boiled or baked ham
- Prepared mustard
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- Chopped fresh parsley
- MUSHROOM SAUCE:
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup milk
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1. Spread bread with butter. Place six slices in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top each bread slice with a slice of cheese and ham. Brush with mustard. Place the remaining bread slices, buttered side up, over mustard. Beat eggs and milk; pour over all. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Meanwhile, heat sauce ingredients and keep warm. Garnish with parsley; serve with the mushroom sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC