- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- Green, red and yellow food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually add flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough to 3/16-in. thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the confectioners' sugar, water and meringue powder on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4 minutes or until soft peaks form. Add corn syrup; beat 1 minute longer.
- Tint with food coloring of your choice. Cover frosting with damp paper towels or plastic wrap between uses. Spread and/or pipe frosting on cookies. Let stand until set. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Nice 'n' Soft Sugar Cookies
"I've been using this recipe for years with wonderful results. I do, however, roll out my dough a bit thicker than the recipe suggests, as I find this produces a guaranteed soft and tender cookie. Dough is easy to handle and very forgiving, and the re-rolled scraps even make delicious cookies."
"These cookies are delicious. Those people who didn't get a soft cookie did something wrong. I followed the recipe exactly. Yummy. Maybe you didn't soften the butter???"
"These were not anything like they should be. Wasted a bunch of ingredients. Not sure why some of us had the same issues, and others liked it. It was almost like there was a binding ingredient missing. After a few failures I added some oil to get the consistency I need to do anything with them. Moving on to another one...this one is a no go....."
"I love soft chewy cookies and these are the best sugar cookies I've ever had. They are a Christmas tradition in our house."
"Love these sugar cookies. This is my go to cugar cookie recipe! Everyone loves these with a little buttercream frosting on them."