New Year's Surf 'n' Turf Recipe
A mild mushroom sauce pulls together this pleasing pairing of tender steaks and firm shrimp.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 8 beef tenderloin steaks (1-1/2 to 2 inches and 8 ounces each)
- 24 uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and 1 teaspoon garlic in 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add wine or broth; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the parsley, basil and browning sauce if desired. Remove from the skillet; keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, cook steaks in 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat for 5-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Return mushroom mixture to the pan; heat through.
- 3. Meanwhile, in another skillet, combine the remaining butter and oil. Add the shrimp and remaining garlic; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink. Serve with the steaks. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC