New Orleans-Style Subs Recipe
This hearty muffuletta-style sandwich contains loads of meat and cheese. The chopped olive spread makes it a New Orleans classic. —Shannon Lee Denney, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Broil: 5 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1-1/3 cups giardiniera
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 2/3 cup pitted ripe olives
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) unsliced French bread
- 1/4 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 1/2 pound sliced reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 1/2 pound sliced reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1. Place giardiniera and olives in a food processor; cover and process until coarsely chopped. Set aside.
- 2. Cut bread in half lengthwise; carefully hollow out top and bottom of loaves, leaving 1/2-in. shells (discard removed bread or save for another use). Place on two large baking sheets. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until toasted. Brush bottom halves with dressing; layer with ham, turkey and provolone cheese. Spread top halves with olive mixture; layer with roast beef and Colby-Monterey Jack cheese.
- 3. Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Layer bottom halves with tomatoes, lettuce and onion; replace tops. Cut each loaf into six slices. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 336 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 1,368 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC