New Orleans-Style Subs Recipe
- 1-1/3 cups giardiniera
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 2/3 cup pitted ripe olives
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) unsliced French bread
- 1/4 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 1/2 pound sliced reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 1/2 pound sliced reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1. Place giardiniera and olives in a food processor; cover and process until coarsely chopped. Set aside.
- 2. Cut bread in half lengthwise; carefully hollow out top and bottom of loaves, leaving 1/2-in. shells (discard removed bread or save for another use). Place on two large baking sheets. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until toasted. Brush bottom halves with dressing; layer with ham, turkey and provolone cheese. Spread top halves with olive mixture; layer with roast beef and Colby-Monterey Jack cheese.
- 3. Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Layer bottom halves with tomatoes, lettuce and onion; replace tops. Cut each loaf into six slices. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 336 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1368mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein
Reviews for New Orleans-Style Subs
"This was excellent. The combination of giardiniera and olives was different. Great lightened version of a baked sub."
"how can this be healthy when it has enough salt for 3 meals ....i was told that 400 of sodium per meal"