- 1-1/3 cups giardiniera
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 2/3 cup pitted ripe olives
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) unsliced French bread
- 1/4 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 1/2 pound sliced reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 1/2 pound sliced reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- Place giardiniera and olives in a food processor; cover and process until coarsely chopped. Set aside.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; carefully hollow out top and bottom of loaves, leaving 1/2-in. shells (discard removed bread or save for another use). Place on two large baking sheets. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until toasted. Brush bottom halves with dressing; layer with ham, turkey and provolone cheese. Spread top halves with olive mixture; layer with roast beef and Colby-Monterey Jack cheese.
- Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Layer bottom halves with tomatoes, lettuce and onion; replace tops. Cut each loaf into six slices. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as New Orleans-Style Subs in Healthy Cooking August/September 2010, p29
Reviews for New Orleans-Style Subs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 3, 2013
"This was excellent. The combination of giardiniera and olives was different. Great lightened version of a baked sub."
Reviewed Aug. 17, 2011
"how can this be healthy when it has enough salt for 3 meals ....i was told that 400 of sodium per meal"