This hearty one-dish meal from Jason Bagley of Kennewick, Washington is loaded with tender chunks of chicken, colorful veggies , beans and rice. "This healthy dish is a favorite of mine," Jason notes.
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (8 ounces) red beans and rice mix
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, brown chicken in 1 teaspoon oil; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the carrots, mushrooms, onion and peppers in remaining oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add water; bring to a boil. Stir in the beans, rice mix and chicken; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as New Orleans-Style Chicken in Taste of Home August/September 2007, p18
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for New Orleans-Style Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review