New Orleans Jambalaya Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Polish Kielbasa Split Rope Sausage or Polish sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 2 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound uncooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Place the first five ingredients on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Set aside.
- 2. In a stockpot, saute the chicken, pork, onion, green pepper and celery in butter and oil until meat is browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the sausage, ham, tomatoes, 1 cup water, tomato puree, parsley, salt, pepper, thyme, cayenne, chili powder, apple pie spice, bay leaves and spice bag.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. During the last 3 minutes, add shrimp and remaining water if necessary. Discard bay leaves and spice bag. Serve with rice. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 271 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 838 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.