- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound uncooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- Place the first five ingredients on a double thickness of
- cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string
- to form a bag. Set aside.
- In a stockpot, saute the chicken, pork, onion, green pepper and
- celery in butter and oil until meat is browned. Add garlic; cook 1
- minute longer. Stir in the sausage, ham, tomatoes, 1 cup water,
- tomato puree, parsley, salt, pepper, thyme, cayenne, chili powder,
- apple pie spice, bay leaves and spice bag.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring
- occasionally. During the last 3 minutes, add shrimp and remaining
- water if necessary. Discard bay leaves and spice bag. Serve with
- rice. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 271 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 838 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.