New Orleans Gumbo Recipe
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked converted rice
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in the rice, celery, onion and garlic. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine the tomatoes, chicken, kielbasa, thyme, pepper, bay leaves and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into chicken mixture. Stir in shrimp and green pepper. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 4-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and gumbo is thickened. Discard bay leaves.
- 4. Remove rice from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes; stir in parsley. Serve with gumbo. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup gumbo with 1/2 cup rice equals 339 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 124 mg cholesterol, 841 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for New Orleans Gumbo
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.