- thyme, pepper, bay leaves and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into chicken
- mixture. Stir in shrimp and green pepper. Cook, uncovered, over
- medium heat for 4-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and gumbo is
- thickened. Discard bay leaves.
- Remove rice from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes; stir in
- parsley. Serve with gumbo. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup gumbo with 1/2 cup rice equals 339 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 124 mg cholesterol, 841 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.