- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 4-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, oil, sugar, egg and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Cut into 2-in. squares.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry squares, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Roll warm beignets in confectioners' sugar. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for New Orleans Beignets
Sort By :
"Absolutely loved these! So easy to make the night before and fry in the morning! My son asked for these for his birthday, instead of the his traditional request of cinnamon rolls! high praise!"
"Beignets are a classic Louisiana treat! This is a great recipe!"
"hherman5121 if you read the recipe a little further, you will read that you add the rest of flour until it is a soft dough, you may not need the all flour, hope this helps"
"The ingredients says 4 1/2 cups of self-rising flour and the directions say 2 cups of the flour what happens to the other 2 1/2 cups?"