- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 4-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, oil, sugar, egg and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Cut into 2-in. squares.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry squares, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Roll warm beignets in confectioners' sugar. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for New Orleans Beignets
Sort By :
"These little square donuts are really special. the taste is GREAT and EASY to make. I will be making again. I put raspberry seedless preserves in half of them (as per husbands request) O! my WONDERFUL."
"I made these day before yesterday and they are wonderful. I made several of them in the 2 inch squares then made some as 2" x 6" long johns and they all turned out great. some of them I dusted with the powdered sugar. as written, and some I glazed with powdered sugar and milk, and some glazed with powdered sugar,brown sugar and milk and a drop of maple. I ended up with 32 and put half of them in the freezer. we ate some yesterday morning, then this morning they were a tiny bit tough, so I popped them into the microwave for 10 seconds and they were again nice and soft. these are certainly a keeper!"
"Very good and easy to make."
"Absolutely loved these! So easy to make the night before and fry in the morning! My son asked for these for his birthday, instead of the his traditional request of cinnamon rolls! high praise!"