Here in the Southwest, we wrap everything up in a tortilla. Breakfast burritos in every possible combination are very popular in New Mexico. —Angela Spengler, Clovis, New Mexico
- 6 large eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 4 breakfast turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 6 tablespoons salsa
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, jalapeno and cayenne; set aside.
- Crumble sausage into a large skillet; cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain. Push sausage to the sides of pan. Pour egg mixture into center of pan. Cook and stir until set. Sprinkle with cheese and chilies. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand until cheese is melted.
- Place 1/3 cup mixture off center on each tortilla. Fold sides and end over filling and roll up. Top with salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Green Chili Breakfast Burritos in Healthy Cooking October/November 2012, p32
Reviews for New Mexico Green Chili Breakfast Burritos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review