New England Salmon Pie Recipe
- 3-1/2 cups warm mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) salmon, drained, bones and skin removed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a bowl, combine the potatoes, onion, milk, celery seed, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir in salmon and parsley. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edges. Spread salmon mixture into crust.
- 2. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Beat egg and water; brush over pastry. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 409 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 662 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.