New England Lamb Bake Recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 large leeks (white portion only), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add lamb and onion; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook until thickened, 1-2 minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add leeks, carrots, 1 tablespoon parsley, rosemary, salt, pepper and thyme.
- 2. Spoon into a greased 13x9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Cover with potato slices; dot with butter. Bake until meat is tender and potatoes are golden, 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Freeze option: Remove baking dish from oven; cool completely. Before adding remaining parsley, cover dish and freeze. Freeze parsley separately. To use, partially thaw lamb in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Reheat, covered, until a thermometer reads 165°, about 1 hour. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 374 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 862mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein .
Reviews for New England Lamb Bake
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.