New England Lamb Bake Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 large leeks, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, cook lamb and onions over medium heat in oil until meat is no longer pink. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir to remove browned bits from pan. Add the carrots, leeks, 1 tablespoon parsley, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.
- 2. Spoon into a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover with potatoes and dot with butter. Bake at 375° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender and the potatoes are golden brown. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 374 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 862 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.