Smokey and sweet green beans are flavored with bacon, cranberries and maple syrup. The addition of roasted chestnuts brings a bit of crunch.—Brandi Fisher, Fort Worth, Texas
Recommended: The 99 Most American Recipes Ever
- 1/2 cup chestnuts
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 4 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- With a small sharp knife, score an “X” on the rounded side of each chestnut, being careful not to cut through the nutmeat. Place chestnuts on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, peel and chop chestnuts.
- Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add cranberries during the last minute of cooking time.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain. Drain bean mixture; add to the skillet. Stir in the chestnuts, butter, maple syrup, salt and pepper; heat through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as New England Green Beans in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p14
Reviews for New England Green Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review