New England Fish Chowder Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 pounds haddock, cut into large chunks
- 4 cups milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- 1. In a soup kettle, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Saute onions until tender but not browned. Add the potatoes, salt, pepper and water. Top with fish. Simmer, covered, 25 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- 2. In a large saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until bubbles form around side of saucepan. Stir in evaporated milk and remaining butter; add to fish mixture. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Heat through. Yield: about 4-1/2 quarts.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 193 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 659 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for New England Fish Chowder
"This is so delicious! Great recipe, just wish there was a little less liquid in the chowder."
"If you use seafood broth instead of water and kick it up with some Old Bay Seasoning, you now have maxed out this recipe!"
"this is as i remember new england chowders, as i was growing up in the coastal new england it was a welcome feeling to smell the aroma of fish chowder on top of the stove and the smell of homemade common crackers in the oven."
"It's cold outside and this is wonderful on a day like this. I did add 1 can clams with liquid and a little Old Bay seasoning. Delicious"
"My family, 6yr old & 2yr old included, loved this. Used fish stock in place of water & used a mix of fat free half & half, whole & skim milk for the 3 cups milk. It was great."
"Just like my grandmother used to make"
"The chowder was ok, a little milky, next time I would put only two cups of milk and one or one and a half cans of evaporated milk.This perticular chowder is very good for people who are watching there sodium.I would make it again with the changes."
"Really good :)"
"Made this recipe for the first time and my family loved it. It was easy to make too. I will definately be making it again."
"Very good fish chowder and very easy to make. I live in New England, I know. Wonderful to have on these cold days. I did not change the recipe, I simply added some Old Bay seasoning."
"This looks great I think that I will try it!"