New England Clam Chowder Recipe
I wasn't satisfied with other recipes I came across for clam chowder, so I devised this one. Everyone who's tried it raves about it. The dish is great on a cold day.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:10-12 servings
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts milk
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add flour; stir until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Drain potatoes; add to Dutch oven. Add clams and remaining ingredients; heat through. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 254 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 678 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC