New England Clam Chowder
Provided to you by Crisco®
4-6 ServingsPrep Time: 15 min Cook Time: 30 min Ready in Time: 45 min
- 3 tbsps. Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening or 3 tbsps. Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled, thinly sliced
- 6 medium potatoes (about 2 lbs.), pared, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 (10 oz.) cans shelled whole baby clams or 3 (6 1/2 oz.) cans minced clams, liquid reserved
- 1 qt. milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground white pepper
- Melt shortening in large heavy saucepan. Add onions and potatoes.
- Cook and stir 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add water. Bring to a
- Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are
- tender. Stir in clams and reserved liquid. Cook and stir 2 to 3
- Remove from heat. Stir in milk, salt and pepper. Season to taste.
- Serve. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.