New England Clam Chowder Recipe
- 4 center-cut bacon strips
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 3 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half, divided
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. Saute celery and onion in the drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the potatoes, water, clam juice, bouillon, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 cup half-and-half until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in clams and remaining half-and-half; heat through (do not boil). Crumble the reserved bacon; sprinkle over each serving. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for New England Clam Chowder(24)
Sort By :
Great recipe!! Creamy and yet light. I followed the recipe, however, I added another can of clams. Perfect with salad and baget Will make this a favorite!
Very good chowder. Poured off most of the bacon drippings, saved about 2 TB for sautéing. I used 3, 10oz. cans of Crown Prince whole wild caught clams. I also just used the juice from the cans, strained. The fat free half & half worked beautifully. I used white whole wheat pastry flour which worked well for thickening. Husband says to rate this chowder at 4 stars,I thought 5 stars!
This was excellent!!! The difference is using the bacon drippings to saute the celery and onion.
Absolutely amazing. I'll be making this for years to come.
This soup is so comforting. It's very flavorful and doesn't make you feel bloated afterwards.
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Chowder Recipes >
- Clam Chowder Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >